Friday, May 9, 2008

Fanboy: what does it actually mean?

From Wiki - Fanboy (sometimes spelled fanboi) is a term used to describe an individual who is devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboys remain loyal to their particular obsession.

Fanboys often get bashed on forums when trying to protect their film interests. Sure their love for a movie or franchise may blind them from the not-so-good parts, but it does come from a deep appreciation of the film. The hackneyed term “you don’t choose what you love, it choose you” is pretty darn accurate. Sometimes its love at first site when you some a cross a certain film or sometimes you don’t find yourself wrapped up in something until after you take a step back and see how much enjoyment you get out of it or you see how much time you put into it already. Fanboys often take things personally when people don’t like the movie they have attached themselves to. In turn they often swear and make off the cuff comments that dwindles their credibility. It’s a natural if not weak reaction.
When I was younger I used to get disappointed when others did not like the movies I liked. I wondered how they did not see the brilliance I saw. I ended up defending a lot of movies out loud (even during them) when people would start bashing them. Ex: I watched Hard Rain with friends in college and my film student friend freaked out every time he saw a subpar blue-screen effect. I tried defending the movie even though he was right. In the end the movie ended up being forgettable. I realized later I had a penchant for movies with bad weather in them and I must have defended it for that sole reason. The same goes for the more modern example or “Dreamcatcher”. An ultimately forgettable movie that nonetheless ended up in my movie collection due to the fact it takes place during a snowstorm. I can be a little bit of a cheerleader for movies as well as my beloved sports teams. I like to call it optimism.

No comments: